NOTICE as of May 12, 2016: Special Needs Assistance may be limited due to limited availability of grant funds.
Submitting an application does not guarantee that assistance will be provided.
Assistance may not be available or may not be sufficient to achieve adequate defensible space. Applicants may need to contribute financially (cost-share) to achieve completed defensible space clearance.
Please contact us before applying.
SCFSC will provide Defensible Space cleanup and chipping for Santa Clara County residents who are physically unable to clear their property, have no other person to assist in the clearance and cannot afford to hire a contractor to do the work.
Click on Read more to see the Special Needs Assistance Program Requirements.
To apply for this program, please download and complete the Special Needs Assistance Program Application Form.
SNAP Program Requirements:
- Over 65 years old, or
- Physically Disabled (verified by receiving disability, handicap placards for vehicles, etc.)
- Financially unable to hire a contractor and under these low income guidelines:
- 1 person: $40,000/year ($3,333/month), or
- 2 people: $50,000/year ($4,167/month)
- Physically unable to create and maintain their Defensible Space on their own.
- SCFSC will work with the homeowner to determine the clearing that will be done. The amount of work to be done cannot exceed two days of work for the clearing/chipping crew.
- All material chipped will be blown back onto the property (unless otherwise arranged with SCFSC and the contractor). The chips can be used for mulch.