SCFSC Defensible Space Chipping Programs are funded by Federal Grants and other contributions. Environmental clearance are provided by the federal agencies involved in these grants.
General Hazardous Fuel Reduction Guidelines
- Don’t destroy any active bird nests of any size.
- Don’t work near any large active nests, such as eagle nests (3-4 feet diameter or more).
- Work can be done around (greater than 100 feet from) smaller active nests.
- Limbs and trees with and around inactive nests of any size can be removed.
- The safest time of the year for vegetation disturbing work is from September through December; the general Breeding-Fledge Season in our area is March through August.