Please observe the following safety precautions when you are creating Defensible Space around your home or preparing material for our Defensible Space Chipping Programs, especially during Red Flag Warnings and Fire Weather Watches:
- Power equipment should be operated only before 10:00 AM or after 6:00 PM (and NEVER during extremely dry conditions).
- Never use lawn mowers in dry vegetation.
- Be careful to avoid rocks, stones and metal objects which could cause a spark and start a fire.
- Spark arresters are required in wildland areas on all portable gasoline powered equipment.
- Keep a hose or water fire extinguisher nearby.
- Stay 30 minutes after work is complete to ensure no fires have started.
Additional safety information and precautions
Additional safety information from Pacific Gas and Electric Company
University of Nevada Report on Mulch Combustibility.
Spread chips thinly and not too close to homes or structures.
SCFSC Guidelines for Fuel Reduction Contractors