About the Santa Clara County FireSafe Council
The mission of the FireSafe Council is: “Mobilizing the people of Santa Clara County to protect their homes, communities and environment from wildfires.” This mission is fulfilled through the combined resources of the Fire Safe Council and its participating organizations, companies and individuals.
A crucial part of our program success is ongoing Community Outreach and Education. The FireSafe Council provides materials and education to teach homeowners how to create Defensible Space around their homes and communities, and to build and remodel using fire resistant plants and materials. In addition, we have developed a comprehensive fire safety and environmental education program, which we deliver to hundreds of children and youth in Santa Clara County. We conduct this component at events and festivals we attend in the community and through partnerships with schools and public libraries.
Volunteer Opportunities with SCFSC
Do you have a love of nature and the environment? An interest in fire education, ecology or biology?
Here is your chance to apply your passion and experience to hands on learning. We are in need of volunteers to assist in our Community Outreach and Education events including:
- Smokey Bear: Wear the Smokey suit and do meet and greet (should be at least 5’7).
Be animated, outgoing and fun but remember, Smokey doesn’t talk! (1-2 volunteers/shift)
- Smokey’s helper: Guide Smokey around the event. Hand out promotional items, engage kids of all ages about Smokey and his message of wildfire prevention. (1-2 volunteers/shift)
- Activity helper: Hand out SCFSC information and talk to event goers about wildfire safety.
Interact with kids of all ages through fun activities, crafts and games. (2-4 volunteers/shift)
- Story reader: Lead an interactive group story time with the reading of “The True Story of Smokey Bear.” Teach children the rules for wildfire prevention and initiate and lead discussion about Smokey Bear. (1 volunteer/shift)
- Special project volunteers: Use your skills and knowledge and provide SCFSC with professional support in: marketing/PR, web development and design, accounting, writing/editing, video editing.